Host (host) /hōst/
Malay Meaning or Translation of - 'host'
English to English Meaning - 'host'
- be the host of or for; "We hosted 4 couples last night"
- a person who invites guests to a social event (such as a party in his or her own home) and who is responsible for them while they are there
- a vast multitude
- an animal or plant that nourishes and supports a parasite; the host does not benefit and is often harmed by the association
- a person who acts as host at formal occasions (makes an introductory speech and introduces other speakers)
- archaic terms for army
- any organization that provides resources and facilities for a function or event; "Atlanta was chosen to be host for the Olympic Games"
- (medicine) recipient of transplanted tissue or organ from a donor
- the owner or manager of an inn
- a technical name for the bread used in the service of Mass or Holy Communion
- (computer science) a computer that provides client stations with access to files and printers as shared resources to a computer network
- Lehigh University men's basketball team set to host rival Lafayette College. Read Article
- Northland College to host Local Food Summit Submitted Article The Daily Press. Read Article
- Sad news from Hallmark Channel's Home & Family host Mark Steines. Read Article
- The Panthers face another big test this Sunday when they host #7 Missouri. Read Article
- 'Bachelor' host teases 'combustible situation'. Read Article
- intermediate host - a host that is used by a parasite in the course of its life cycle
- definitive host - the host in which the sexual reproduction of a parasite takes place
- youth hostel - inexpensive supervised lodging (especially for youths on bicycling trips)
- irrational hostility - extreme prejudice
- air hostess - a woman steward on an airplane
- family hostaceae - one of many families or subfamilies into which some classification systems subdivide the Liliaceae but not widely accepted; includes genus Hosta
- genus hosta - robust east Asian clump-forming perennial herbs having racemose flowers: plantain lilies; sometimes placed in family Hostaceae
- latent hostility - feelings of hostility that are not manifest; "he could sense her latent hostility to him"; "the diplomats'' first concern was to reduce international tensions"
- with hostility - in a belligerent hostile manner; "he pushed her against the wall belligerently"